Friday, July 16, 2010

Doubt and unbelief

John 20:24-29 (NLT)
24 One of the twelve disciples, Thomas (nicknamed the Twin), was not with the others when Jesus came. 25 They told him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he replied, “I won’t believe it unless I see the nail wounds in his hands, put my fingers into them, and place my hand into the wound in his side.” 26 Eight days later the disciples were together again, and this time Thomas was with them. The doors were locked; but suddenly, as before, Jesus was standing among them. “Peace be with you,” he said. 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!” 28 “My Lord and my God!” Thomas exclaimed. 29 Then Jesus told him, “You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.”


We see in these verses the Apostle Thomas struggled to believe Jesus was raised from the dead. Thomas desired proof. He wanted to see the nail and spear wounds on Jesus and to be able to touch those wounds. Jesus knew the struggle Thomas was going through so when he appeared again to the disciples he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!” With the proof Thomas required he exclaimed, “My Lord and my God!”


Many have called the Apostle Thomas, “Doubting Thomas”, because he doubted the testimony of the other disciples. Thomas had neglected to gather previously with them and now he doubted these men who had been called to testify as witnesses for the Lord. At least Thomas was honest about his feelings. He had no problem stating he did not believe even at the insistence of all the others. In the book of Mark another man faces a moment of unbelief. Even though he went to Jesus for his son to be healed he said, “Have mercy on us and help us, if you can.” “What do you mean, ‘If I can’?” Jesus asked. “Anything is possible if a person believes.” The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!” Jesus then went on to heal the man’s son; not only to help the man believe, but also those who were watching. If you find yourself doubting or struggling with your faith know others have also doubted. Be honest with your feelings. If you find yourself doubting tell the Lord and ask Him to help you overcome your unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment