Friday, September 24, 2010

Find rest for the soul

Matthew 11:28-30 (NLT)
28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

Jesus invites those weary and laid with the burdens of trying to fulfill the law to come to Him for rest. In Luke 11:46 Jesus said, ““what sorrow also awaits you experts in religious law! For you crush people with unbearable religious demands, and you never lift a finger to ease the burden.” The religious experts taught how to follow rules and laws, but they failed to properly teach God’s love and His desire for a repentant heart. So Jesus offers something not offered before, rest from a heavy burden by helping to carry the burden’s placed on the people.

Without a doubt there is someone reading this message that is carrying a heavy burden. Life has overwhelmed them and they cannot see the hope that has been placed before them. They feel failure and distress. They wish there was something that would ease their pain. They may already know Christ, but they have forgotten the words He gave us above, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” There is nothing Christ cannot handle, but one has to turn over those problems to Christ so He can help shoulder the burden. We may believe there are things we must do to make life successful, but Christ will show us instead that maybe we should rest. Remember to turn to Christ in your times of need and Christ will teach you how to find rest for your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment