Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The burden of craving the world

1 John 2:16 (NLT)
16 For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world.

The world is used by the apostle to describe the aggregate of earthly desires. The world is a place corrupted by sin and gives man the desire to crave that which is forbidden. In this verse the apostle lists some of man’s faults, a craving for pleasure, a craving for what we see, and pride that places us and our possessions before God.

I remember the first time I tried out a weight machine at a health club. The gym instructor was showing me how to set the machine. Without paying much attention to the weight or my capabilities he made some adjustments. He said, “Go ahead and give it a try”, and as much as I wanted to I could not push up the weights. The instructor said, “I think I set the weight just a little bit high, let’s start low and work up.” With a lighter setting I was easily able to accomplish the task of lifting the weights, but as the instructor continued to raise the settings I got back to the point where I could not lift them again.

We often think we can handle sin on our own; but the world is continuously making us crave what it offers. As we try to do good to obey God the weight of sin builds up against us. Suddenly we find ourselves trying to lift a burden we cannot handle. It becomes difficult to sustain the heavy lifting of obedience and we find ourselves suddenly unable to budge the burden. It is why Jesus said for us to count on Him. For He tells us “my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” When you find yourself craving the world turn to Jesus and ask Him to carry the load with you. Pray Christ would always give you the strength to do what is right and good in God’s sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment