Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Letting God put us together to serve

Psalm 18:20-24 (The Message)
20 -24 God made my life complete when I placed all the pieces before him. When I got my act together, he gave me a fresh start. Now I'm alert to God's ways; I don't take God for granted. Every day I review he ways he works; I try not to miss a trick. I feel put back together, and I'm watching my step. God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes.

In these verses David reflects upon his integrity God has restored in his life. David tells us his life was in pieces. He gave what he had to God so God could restore him and give him a fresh start. With a new beginning David longs to seek God and not miss anything God is trying to do in his life. He feels restored as if all the pieces of his life have been glued back into one piece. Yet David watches his step for he knows sin could cause him to fall and once again shatter his life. David acknowledges it was God who rewrote the text of his life and open his eyes and heart to his purpose.

In November 2010, a wedding party in Glenelg, Australia, was unexpectedly called into action right after the wedding ceremony. While they were posing for pictures on a scenic ledge, a woman unrelated to the wedding fell into the water and started drowning. Dressed in his tuxedo, the best man jumped in and brought the woman back toward shore. Then the bride, a trained nurse, waded into the water and started administering CPR. By the time the Surf Life Saving volunteers had arrived, the woman had regained consciousness. But according to one safety official, "[The victim] was very lucky that the bridal party was there and they acted quickly and got her to the shallows." After the daring rescue operation, the drenched but heroic best man and the bride happily rejoined the wedding reception and continued with the festivities.

In some ways, this unusual event serves as a great image for the calling of every local church: we're dressed up for a party (celebrating worship), but at the same time we're also prepared to dive into mission, even when it's inconvenient and dangerous. Worship and mission, loving God and loving others, praising and serving—these combinations aren't opposites; they form the dual nature of our calling as the church. [Best man jumps off Glenelg Jetty to save woman, News.com.au (11-29-10)]

God has called each of us for a purpose in life. Give the broken pieces of your life over to God and let Him put you back together as one who is ready to serve Him. May God bless and tough the depths of your soul and heal every wound.

No comments:

Post a Comment