Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jesus is the light

John 12:44-50 (NLT)
44 Jesus shouted to the crowds, “If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. 45 For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. 46 I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark. 47 I will not judge those who hear me but don’t obey me, for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. 48 But all who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken. 49 I don’t speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it. 50 And I know his commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say.”

Jesus gives an account of His mission to the world. The mission was to bring true comfort, joy and hope to the people where before there was always an affliction of darkness. Christ came to be the light of truth to show the world how to find God and eternal life.

Many watched the news as Chilean miners were trapped deep underground in a dark cave. There was no light to guide them other than the flashlights that would not last. There was a loss of hope, joy and comfort as they remained there in the dark helpless to do anything about their situation. In the same way the sin of the world has trapped people in darkness. Sin has cut off hope, comfort and keeps a person in the dark about the joy they could have. We feel hopeless to overcome the darkness of sin. People try on their own to overcome sin, but like the miners flashlights it is only a matter of time before sin covers them again. Christ is our light in this world. Jesus came so that we could find salvation in His sacrifice for us. Jesus did not come to judge, but instead to rescue us from the judgment of sin that is to come. Place your faith in Christ so that you may walk in joy, comfort and hope instead of a dark path of sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment