Thursday, July 21, 2011

The prayer to be one

John 17:20-21 (NLT)
20 “I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. 21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.

In these verses we find Jesus not only praying for the disciples, but for all Christians who have come to have faith in Christ. The prayer was meant for those who had come to believe in Him and for those who were yet to believe in Christ. His prayer was all Christians would be united so those who have not believed in Him would come to believe in Him through the Christian’s actions.

Sadly I have heard it said Christians wound other Christians and leave them on the battlefield. Our purpose as Christians is to work as one; as Christ prayed we would do. We are not to put down another Christian for their sin, but instead we are to help that person see their failure and help restore them. Some we will say we are not to judge others, but we do know when someone is not following the will of God. God has instilled in us with His Holy Spirit the ability to discern right and wrong. The Bible tells us we are to reprove others so they can see the sin they have fallen into. But we are to also gently restore them by aiding them in their recovery. Instead of wounding others we should be like soldiers who defend each other and leave no one behind. Pray for those who have fallen to sin that you may be able to minister to them and help restore them to their proper relationship with Christ. Who knows, one day there may be a failure in your life and you will need someone to reach out to you. I hope God blesses each and every one of you keeping you close to Him and protecting you. I pray as Christ we all will be one in our effort to show the world Jesus and His merciful salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment