Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving even in the difficult times

2 Corinthians 4:13-15 (NLT)
13 But we continue to preach because we have the same kind of faith the psalmist had when he said, “I believed in God, so I spoke.” 14 We know that God, who raised the Lord Jesus, will also raise us with Jesus and present us to himself together with you. 15 All of this is for your benefit. And as God’s grace reaches more and more people, there will be great thanksgiving, and God will receive more and more glory.

In these verses we find it is faith that motivates the apostle and other believers to continue to preach the Good News of Jesus Christ. The apostle states this was done that God’s grace might reach more and more people. The more people receive God’s mercy the more glory and thanksgiving that will be given to God.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I think of the generations of people who came before me, life on earth is short. Some get to enjoy a fruitful and long life, while others have their lives cut short in their early years. I have been praying for a young man, a childhood friend of my son, who is battling brain cancer. Hospice has been called and his life is potentially nearing an end. It is difficult for me to imagine what the family is going through on a week focused on Thanksgiving. I know this young man believed in an eternal life and he had accepted that Jesus Christ paid the debt for his sin. I am thankful that even in earthly death there will be eternal life. I am thankful for those who remain and can testify to the memories of his life. I am thankful the family has been there with him during these final precious moments. I am thankful for friends who have been praying and hoping for a recovery. I am thankful for those who love the family and have shown their support. Had these things not been true, then yes, there might not have been much to be thankful for.

I remember the story of a poor man who was distraught because he had no shoes. But when he met a man with no feet and no legs he bowed before God and gave thanks for his ability to walk. There is always something we can be thankful for even when we are facing grim and desperate moments. Like the man without shoes I too have been guilty of not giving God the praise as I should. But then I think of things that could be worst and I can’t help but praise God for what He has done.

This will be my only devotion for this week. If you wish to pray for this young man his name is Seth. God bless each and every one of you as you count your blessings this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment