Thursday, January 17, 2013

How we live our lives

Philippians 2:14-16 (NLT)
14 Do everything without complaining and arguing, 15 so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. 16 Hold firmly to the word of life; then, on the day of Christ’s return, I will be proud that I did not run the race in vain and that my work was not useless.

The Apostle Paul calls upon Christians to live obeying The Lord’s word without complaining and arguing so there will be no criticism, but instead peace and love towards one another. In our lives we should endeavor not only to be harmless, but to be blameless; not only to do no hurt, but not to come under suspicion of it.  We are to live life looking forward to the day of being reunited with Christ, serving others and sharing His wonderful message of salvation. In doing we can be proud the lives we lived were not in vain, but produced fruit that would endure forever.

 

 

Jim Petersen tells the story of Mario, [a friend from South America] with whom he had studied the Bible for four years before Mario became a Christian. The Bible studies reflected the fact that Mario was a Marxist intellectual who'd read all the leading Western philosophers. A couple of years after his conversion, Jim and Mario were reminiscing: "Do you remember what it really was that made me decide to become a Christian?" Mario asked.

Petersen thought of all their Bible studies and philosophical discussions. Mario's reply took him by surprise. "Remember that first time I stopped by your house? We were on our way someplace together, and I had a bowl of soup with you and your family. As I sat there observing you, your wife, and your children, and how you related to each other, I asked myself, 'When will I have a relationship like this with my fiancé?' When I realized that the answer was 'never,' I concluded I had to become a Christian for the sake of my own survival."

Petersen did remember the occasion. He remembered his children behaving badly and his frustration at having to correct them in front of Mario. Yet Mario saw the grace of Christ binding that family together. Years later, Petersen would comment on this incident:

We tend to see the weaknesses and incongruities in our lives, and our reaction is to recoil at the thought of letting outsiders get close enough to see us as we really are. Even if our assessment is accurate, it is my observation that any Christian who is sincerely seeking to walk with God, in spite of all his flaws, is reflecting something of Christ. [Tim Chester, A Meal with Jesus (Crossway, 2011), pp. 95-96]

 

How we live our lives has a great impact on others. We need to ensure we love others like Christ loved so they may see Christ living in us. Isaiah 55:11 says of The Lord, “It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it.” Our lives should reflect that same idea that what we seek to accomplish will proper in goodness and accomplish what God intended for our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment