Thursday, April 24, 2014

The great cost of Salvation

1 Peter 1:18-19 (NIV)
18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.

In these verses the apostle reminds us that salvation cannot be bought. Instead salvation is a gift given to us and paid for by the precious blood of Jesus Christ. What we cannot do on our own, Jesus Christ did for us – He made us right with God.



In Decision, Karen R. Morerod writes:

I was in a store shopping for a sweater. The cost needed to be minimal, so I went to the clearance rack to start looking. As I flipped through the sweaters, one caught my eye. It was the right color and the right size, and best of all, the price tag was marked $8.00. Without much more thought, I made my purchase.

At home I slipped on the sweater. Its texture was like silk. I had made my purchase so quickly that I hadn't noticed how smooth and elegant the sweater was. Then I saw the original price tag: $124.00!

I gasped. I had never owned any clothing of that value. I had come home with what I thought was a "cheap buy," but the original price was quite high. I had been oblivious to its value.

Just as with my sweater, I have often treated the power of Jesus' blood like a "cheap purchase." His grace, though free to me, carried a high price tag—the life of his very own Son.

[Karen R. Morerod, writer, "Lesson Learned from a Sweater," Decision (November 1999), p. 39]


Revelation 21:5-7 says, “He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.”


For no cost, eternal salvation is extended to all who place their faith in Jesus Christ. Just because there is no cost to us we should never treat eternal salvation as though it cost nothing – for Jesus paid a great price.

No comments:

Post a Comment