Friday, September 19, 2014

Encouraging words

Ephesians 4:29 (NLT)
29 Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

Those who are forgiven by God should have in them a forgiving spirit. Foul and abusive language is not suited well to showing love for another, but instead shows contempt towards them. Our words should be encouraging as to lift up the spirit of those who hear us.



My grandfather had never been one to attend church. My grandmother on the other hand attended church almost every week with her parents. For my grandmother attending church was important and she wanted my grandfather to attend as well.

After some coaxing my grandfather began attending Sunday School with my grandmother. They were regularly attending at least for a while. Then one Saturday night my grandfather and grandmother were downtown when they ran into their Sunday school teacher. The teacher had been out drinking and was obviously intoxicating.

The man started making crude comments to my grandmother, which offended my grandfather. He politely told him he needed to go home. However the damage was already done. My grandfather never went back to the Sunday school class. He told my grandmother if that was the way Christian’s acted he didn’t need to be a part of it.



All it takes is the wrong words or the wrong actions and we can alienate those around us. Our words have a powerful impact. Used wrongly we can hurt people and harden their hearts with words alone. Used wisely our words can encourage, lift spirits and bring joy to others. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment