Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Genesis 3 (9-13) New King James Version - Choices and blame

Genesis 3 (9-13) New King James Version
9 Then the Lord God called to Adam and said to him, “Where are you?” 10 So he said, “I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself.” 11 And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?” 12 Then the man said, “The woman whom You gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I ate.” 13 And the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?” The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

Adam and Eve knew they were not to eat from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil; yet they chose to do so. They made a choice knowing there was a severe consequence that went along with their choice. Santa used the same lie with Adam and Eve he had formerly used with himself; I can become God. Adam and Eve bought into the lie and fell from grace just as Satan had bought into his own lie and fell from grace.



Every day in life we face choices. Most of those choices have consequences, either good or bad, that come as a result of the actions we take. When we make a choice, we are the one deciding if the consequence seems more valuable that the action. Sometimes we choose unwisely and find the consequence was not worth the value we initially believed. We find ourselves wanting to hide from that choice, but it has already been made.

Adam and Eve attempted to hide their choice from God. They thought they could hide in the garden and God would not know what they had done. Yet Adam gave himself away by saying he was naked, which was something he had never been aware of before. God then asked Adam, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?”

Look at Adam’s response. Instead of accepting responsibility for his own actions he says, “The woman whom You (God) gave to be with me, she gave me of the tree.” In other words it’s not my fault God you put me with this woman. It’s because of her I made that choice. You can’t blame me I’m just a victim.

Then we see Eve’s response, “The serpent deceived me.”  Eve has fallen into the same trap as Adam. Instead of taking responsibility for her actions she places the blame on the serpent. I can only wonder what would have happened if Adam and Eve accepted responsibility for their bad choice and had asked God for forgiveness.



Remember this in your daily interactions with others. Try not to shift blame to others when clearly the choice was yours. Accept responsibility for your actions and ask for forgiveness in order to make things right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment