Monday, August 17, 2015

God's praise for us

2 Corinthians 10:17-18 (NLT)

17 As the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.” 18 When people commend themselves, it doesn’t count for much. The important thing is for the Lord to commend them.

The world tells us we should sing our own praises so that others will notice us and acknowledge the work we have done. God tells us if we do His work and boast of Him then He will commend us for what we have done in His name.



In his book Pursuing Justice, Ken Wystma tells the following story about an African Christian leader who has spent the last 15 years helping some of the most vulnerable people in the world. Wytsma writes:

He was born and raised in what is one of the most war-torn regions on the globe today—eastern Congo. His life is regularly threatened, and he faces the seemingly impossible task of trying to restore villages decimated by rape, murder, and plunder.

Some visiting executives from a large, well-known global relief organization once toured the region. They noticed what an effective job my friend was doing, and offered him a position as the leader of their Congo operations. He quickly turned them down.

On paper it was the kind of offer you can't refuse—higher pay, more security, great influence. A dream promotion for most Westerners. But he refused for a simple reason. He said,

God gave me the job I have, he's helped me build the relationships and the respect that I have. He has opened the door for me all these years and kept me safe on every trip out into the bush. I'm right where God has called me to be, so why would I go anywhere else? I don't just want to do good. I want to be where God wants me to be.  [Ken Wytsma, Pursuing Justice (Thomas Nelson, 2013), pp. 161-162]



Our greatest praises come from God who loves us. God has a purpose for each and every one of us and He praises us as we fill that purpose. Ask God to direct and lead you in your daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment