Friday, November 20, 2015

Praise to God

Psalm 95:1-2  (NLT)
1 Come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. 2 Let us come to him with thanksgiving. Let us sing psalms of praise to him.

The psalmist here, as often elsewhere, stirs up himself and others to praise God; for it is a duty which ought to be performed with the most lively affections, and which we have great need to be excited to, being very often backward to it and cold in it



In a 2015 interview, the Hungarian composer György Kurtág made a remarkable confession about his struggle to reconcile his atheism with the beauty of Bach's music:

Consciously, I am certainly an atheist, but I do not say it out loud, because if I look at Bach, I cannot be an atheist. Then I have to accept the way he believed. His music never stops praying. And how can I get closer if I look at him from the outside? I do not believe in the Gospels in a literal fashion, but a Bach fugue has the Crucifixion in it—as the nails are being driven in. In music, I am always looking for the hammering of the nails … That is a dual vision. My brain rejects it all. But my brain isn't worth much. [Mark Meynell, A Wilderness of Mirrors (Zondervan, 2015), page 191]



The Creator created a magnificent and marvelous world. There are many thing of beauty and remarkable things to look upon. Even a proclaimed Atheist has a hard time denying God because of the presence of His creation. Let us give thanks and psalms of praise to God for the great things He placed in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment