Thursday, March 3, 2016

God's thoughts

Isaiah 55:8-9 (NLT)
8 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. 9 For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.

If we look up to heaven, we find God's counsels there high and transcendent, his thoughts and ways infinitely above ours. [Matthew Henry]



To illustrate how our ever-increasing need for wonder that can only be filled by God, apologist Ravi Zacharias told the following:

If I were telling my children the same fairy tale, notice the different reactions. If I took Sarah at age 8 and said to her, "Sarah, little Tommy got up and walked to the door and opened the door and a dragon jumped in front of Tommy," Sarah's eyes go wide. But now imagine me telling little Naomi, age four, the same story. "Naomi, little Tommy got up, walked to the door, and opened the door." Naomi's eyes go wide. Now let's imagine I tell a story to Nathan, aged two, whose entire worldview is exhausted in one word—cookie. All I have to say is, Nathan, little Tommy got up and walked up to the door" and Nathan's eyes get wide with amazement.

Ravi concludes, "You see the difference? Sarah needed the dragon. Naomi needed to open the door. For Nathan it was a pretty big deal to walk up to the door. The older you get the more it takes to fill your heart with wonder, and only God is big enough to fill it."   [Ravi Zacharias, "Created for Significance," Part 1 (3-7-15)]



The older we grow the more our desire for knowledge and understanding grow. We are to look up to God for answers for His ways are infinitely greater than our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment