Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A safe haven from harassment

Ruth 2:21-22 (NLT)
21 Then Ruth said, “What’s more, Boaz even told me to come back and stay with his harvesters until the entire harvest is completed.” 22 “Good!” Naomi exclaimed. “Do as he said, my daughter. Stay with his young women right through the whole harvest. You might be harassed in other fields, but you’ll be safe with him.”

Naomi had lost both her husband and sons. Ruth was one of Naomi’s daughter-in-laws who had chosen to stay with her and care for her. Ruth had said to Naomi, “"Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.” Ruth was determined to be with her mother-in-law in order to help her. Naomi encouraged Ruth to work in the fields of Boaz, who was a relative of hers. Naomi knew Ruth might be harassed or assaulted in other fields, but the field of Boaz was a safe and refreshing place to be.

Unfortunately harassment and assaults of many types have taken place throughout history. In The Bible King David was familiar with harassment when he said in Psalms 119:161, “Powerful people harass me without cause.” Christ understood harassment as Jewish leaders persecuted Him for His acts of mercy towards others. Harassment in any form is wrong. Read the news and you will see many different reports of harassment today. There are teens driven to suicide by harassment from classmates. Politicians have been investigated for their harassment of assistants. It seems there is no place safe, but we know Ruth was offered a safe place where she could feel comfortable and protected. The church needs to be a safe place, a place of protection and free from harassment. And the church should understand this well for the church itself has been persecuted and harassed throughout history. Pray God’s people would provide a safe tower of refuge for those who are in need. Pray for those who have faced harassment that the Lord himself would heal their wounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment