Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Who do we believe He is

Matthew 8:5-10 (NAS)
5 And when Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, imploring Him, 6 and saying, "Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, fearfully tormented." 7 Jesus said to him, "I will come and heal him." 8 But the centurion said, "Lord, I am not worthy for You to come under my roof, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 "For I also am a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, 'Go!' and he goes, and to another, 'Come!' and he comes, and to my slave, 'Do this!' and he does it." 10 Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, "Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel.

The man coming before Jesus was a Roman Centurion. These men were gentiles, professional soldiers in command of 80-100 men. They led other soldiers from the front of the battle, occupying a position at the front right of the century formation. They inspired their men by example. Centurions were highly respected and educated men. Yet even with all his respect and power this centurion humbled his self to Jesus to ask for grace upon his servant. The centurion went further in his faith saying all Jesus needed to do was “say this and it will be done”.

In Matthew 16:15, Jesus asked an important question to His disciples. He asked, “Who do you say that I am?” It is a question relevant for us today. Who is it we believe Jesus to be? Do we really and truly believe He is Savior, King of Heaven, Lord above all Lords or do we place limits on him? Can we go to Jesus, ask what we need and believe He will answer in our best interest? Like the Centurion we need to be able to ask in confidence and have genuine faith Jesus will answer our request. The Centurion understood the power and authority of Jesus. Sadly the response to Israel, who knew God, who had witnessed the miracles of God and Christ, was there was no one who had such faith as this Roman Gentile. Pray we may put aside our doubts, put aside our feelings and learn to have to total faith in Christ. Pray we really know and believe who Jesus said He was.

No comments:

Post a Comment