Monday, January 31, 2011

God's mercy

Malachi 3:16-18 (NLT)
16 Then those who feared the Lord spoke with each other, and the Lord listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and always thought about the honor of his name. 17 “They will be my people,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. “On the day when I act in judgment, they will be my own special treasure. I will spare them as a father spares an obedient child. 18 Then you will again see the difference between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not.”

Malachi is the last book of the Old Testament and from this point it will be another 500 years before God speaks again to His people. But here in these verses we find a reassurance from God about the salvation to come. A scroll is prepared to remember those who reverently feared and honored God. Then God proclaims on the Day of Judgment these people will be His own special treasure. They will be spared as a father who would give his life for his child. God will do this to show the difference between the righteous and the wicked, between those who served Him and those who did not.

Mike Erre, in the December 7 entry of Men of Integrity dated November/December 2008 said, “My wife and I refinanced our house and cashed out what was (for us) a large sum of money. I spent several weeks dreaming of ways to spend it. It was near Christmas, and I had been studying the birth of Jesus and what it would have meant to those who heard about it first. As I was praying and prepping for the messages I would teach in the weeks of December, God brought into my mind that to take this whole "love thy neighbor" thing seriously, my wife and I should give away more money than we spend on ourselves this Christmas. (Although I didn't realize it at the time, God had placed the same message in my wife's heart.)” Mike said he and his wife had a wonderful time giving away the money and they celebrated what Paul called “a gift too wonderful for words!” God gives us opportunities to honor Him and show Him that we care for our fellow man. The couple above found their own blessings by giving money away to others in need. There are many people struggling today. Take the time to reach out to those you know are struggling and help in any manner possible. Whether it is to listen and give advice, or donate what you have, or offer money when appropriate to help someone in dire need. God remember s those who fear and honor Him and helping others is one way of bring honor to God. May God bless you for your generosity as you let your heart cheerfully give to those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment