Monday, September 24, 2012

Confidence to endure

Hebrews 10:35-36 (NIV)
35 So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. 36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.

These words from the apostle are intended to encourage the believers to keep their confidence in the salvation they have received from their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Their service to Christ will one day be richly rewarded. For those who follow the will of God will become heirs to all that He has promised.

 

I can relate to this story by pastor Bryan Wilkerson as I too have once ran the complete NY Marathon. “The first half of that race is a party. You’re swept along by 28,000 runners, crowds lining the streets, and people running in costumes. You’re touring the ethnic neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens. You feel like you could run forever. At mile 13, you cross over into Manhattan and start heading north, away from the finish line. Central Park is behind you, and you’re going in the wrong direction. The crowds are thinner now. The party’s over.

“At about mile 16 or 18, you hit the wall. You’re absolutely miserable. Physically and psychologically, you’re busted. All you want to do is stop running. I remember passing one of the first aid stations. There were runners lying on cots – pale and gaunt, with IVs dripping into their arms. I thought to myself, Those lucky dogs. At that point I began to despair. I imagined myself having to go home and tell everybody I didn’t finish. Why did I ever sign up for this race? What made me think I could do this?

That’s when it hit me. One way or another, I had to get to Central Park. That’s where my ride was. I had no car. I had no money. I would have to get there on my own two feet. So I might as well keep running. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Don’t think about the next 6 miles; just think about the next step. And if you can keep that up, keep putting one foot in front of the other, the miles pass. And when you cross that finish line, it feels like glory – even when you’re in 10,044th place.”

Yes, I completely understand as I ran for 5hrs to complete the NYC Marathon Race. The race is difficult. There are ups and downs in the race. There were times I had to just focus on the road ahead to know I was making progress. There were times I had to watch my footing as the road got slipperly. Sometimes you want to give up, but you know you need to keep going. Then it appears, The Finish Line, and your body suddenly gets one more surge of energy as you approach with confident the last few steps to the finish. And it’s there you are rewarded the NYC Marathon Finishers Medal for enduring 26.2 miles of running.

Run the race of life with confidence in The Lord Jesus Christ. Keep enduring all that the world throws at you knowing there is a Finish Line, an eternal afterlife with the Lord Jesus. Never give up doing His will for He will be there to greet you at the finish and reward you justly. May God bless each of you and keep you close to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment