Friday, February 15, 2013

The Little Girl who Jesus cared for

Matthew 19:13-15 (NASB)
13 Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. 14 But Jesus said, “Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” 15 After laying His hands on them, He departed from there.

We have here the welcome which Jesus gave to some little children that were brought to Him. These parents had great faith in Jesus to show up and request His blessing upon their children; for while some believed in Christ there were also those opposed to Him. The disciples meant well trying to protect Jesus from the gathering crowds, but Jesus always reached out to those reaching out for Him. Jesus tells The Disciples, “Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” The children were yet to form opinions of the world but gladly they had parents who wanted to start their lives by knowing The Christ.
 

 

 

There is a song by John Michael Montgomery called The Little Girl. It’s a story of a little girl born to very dysfunctional parents. Her mother did drugs and her father drank all night. They didn’t know God, nor did they give the little girl the opportunity to learn. And like many children this little girl would sit and watch TV and give her parents kisses and hugs out of love for them even if parents couldn’t fully return their love for her. One night the dad drank too much – he shot his wife and then took his own life leaving the little girl alone. Social workers came and put the little girl into foster care.

From that point we pick up with these lyrics, “And some people from the city took the girl far away to a new mom and a new dad --  kisses and hugs every day. Her first day of Sunday school the teacher walked in and a small little girl stared at a picture of Him [Jesus]. She said I know that man up there on that cross I don't know His name But I know He got off cause He was there in my old house and held me close to His side as I hid there behind our couch the night that my parents died.

This is a touching song illustrating the love Jesus has for us and especially children. The Lord leaves our children in our hands to take care of them, to watch out after them and to nurture them. I believe when we are unable to do so Jesus himself comes to our children and cares for them when others can’t.

This song touches my heart because my dad was an abusive alcoholic who shot at my mother and several times in a drunken rage tried to kill her. Fortunately my mother had the wits to leave. I’m blessed to know Jesus as my Lord and Savior. Jesus has been there many times in my life to help see me safely through. All praise be given to The Lord.
 

If you would like to listen to John Michael Montgomermy’s song The Little Girl it can be found on -- YouTube at http://youtu.be/5JxrYAumI-I or search for John Michael Montgomery The Little Girll

No comments:

Post a Comment