Monday, February 4, 2013

Where is God

1 Kings 19:9-14 (NLT)
But the Lord said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”  10 Elijah replied, “I have zealously served the Lord God Almighty. But the people of Israel have broken their covenant with you, torn down your altars, and killed every one of your prophets. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.”

Elijah had been on the run from Jezebel who wanted to kill him. First he ran a marathon to get away from her. Then after an angel ministered to Elijah he continued on his journey for another 40 days until he found himself hiding in a cave. God asked twice why Elijah was there; and twice God got the same facts Elijah stated above. What Elijah really needed to say was - I’m scared and I feel alone and that is why I am hiding here in this cave.
 

 

Elijah didn’t have a problem listing out the reasons why he should be hiding in a cave. In fact he was able to recite them perfectly back to God a second time. No doubt on his journey to the mountains and even sitting alone in the cave he had repeated those thoughts over and over to himself. 1 – I tried to serve the Lord. 2 – Look what the people did; they broke God’s covenant. 3 – They killed all the other priests and now I’m the only one left and 4- they want to kill me too. Elijah was so focused on these things he didn’t even express his feelings to God nor did he say to God, please help me I am afraid and alone.

You see we often start looking at the circumstances of our life and that is all we can see.  This is the time we need God, but usually don’t seek Him out. We don’t feel His presence despite the fact He is right there with us. We need to take our focus off the situation and remember The Bible gives us promises that God is with us and desires good things for us.

Jeremiah 29:11 Tells us, “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”

Matthew 11:28-29 says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”

Paul said in Philippians 4:19 – “And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.”

King David reminds us in Psalm 139:7-10, “I can never escape from Your Spirit! I can never get away from Your presence! If I go up to heaven, You are there; if I go down to the grave, You are there. If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest ocean, even there Your hand will guide me, and Your strength will support me.”

We might ask “Where is God when we need Him”, but God is right there with us waiting for us to call on Him. God also doesn’t act out of haste, but has a plan to help us. And whatever God does to help us will ease the burdens we are facing. Trust God is there with you and tell God what you are feeling and ask for help. God loves you and desires the best for you and will provide an answer to your problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment