Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Think of the positive results God can bring



Philippians 4:8 (NLT)
8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

In these verses the apostles tells us we are to fix our thoughts on good things. We are to think about truths which we know to be real and sustain us. We are to be honorable and right in our thoughts so that we do not mistreat others, but hold to a higher standard of living. We are to keep our minds pure and off sinful thoughts that might bring us harm or destroy us. We are to have loving and admirable thoughts towards God and others. In our culmination of thoughts we are to think of those excellent things which bring praise and honor to God.



I have heard many a Christian say, when I know I am going to sin I start praying for God to that that thought from my mind. I know I have done that exact thing and I am sure many others have as well. Then I heard someone speaking who gave me a new way to think when I am faced with trials and temptations. Instead of focusing on the problem, focus on God and give him the praise for the things he has already done in your life.

One of the reasons for doing this is to draw your mind away from the sin you are facing. For instance, if I said, “Don’t think about an elephant”, what is the first image that pops into your mind? Usually it is an elephant. So what happens when we start asking for the sin we are facing to be taken away we are continuously thinking about that sin. So instead say something like, “God, you have brought me through many trials and temptations and I give you praise for that. Lead me now in the right direction.”

God knows the temptations and trials you face and by praising and honoring God he will see you through those times of difficulty. King David was always offering his thanks and praise to God for what he knew God was going to do in his life. When David was faced by enemies and the wrath of Saul, this is what David prayed in Psalm 18:1-3 “1 I will love You, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies.”

Remember to call on God in your troubled times and give Him praise for the things he has done in your life. Take your mind off the negative and look forward to the positive results.

No comments:

Post a Comment