Thursday, December 5, 2013

Trust in The Lord and find peace in your life

Psalm 23 (NKJV)
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.

Having been a shepherd himself, David understands the care given to the sheep and he finds peace and comfort in knowing that The Lord is his Shepherd.



In his book Thoughts in Solitude, Thomas Merton wrote the words below that have become known as "the Merton Prayer":

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. [Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude (Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1999), p. 79]



Just as David, Thomas Merton faced the shadow of death and also like David he did not fear; for Thomas knew the promises of The Lord never to leave him to face his perils alone. Faith in The Lord is our stronghold from which we can find peace, comfort and security. Trust in The Lord with all your heart and soul and find the peace that passes all understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment