Thursday, April 9, 2015

Wisdom

Proverbs 9:12 (NLT)
12 If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit. If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer.

We must remember we are tempted, but ultimately the choice we make comes from wisdom or the lack of wisdom. Wisdom is beneficial to us in that we see the consequences ahead of our actions. We understand what our choice means and that we are willing to accept the responsibility. Unfortunately there are times we disregard wisdom and make ill-advised choices. It is these unwise choices that lead us to suffer. We face the consequences we have earned and yet because of the negative consequences we often deny our own failures to listen to wisdom.



In the movie Crimes and Misdemeanors, written and directed by Woody Allen, Judah Rosenthal (Martin Landau) is an esteemed husband and father in a desperate situation because of his adultery.

Judah, an eye doctor, is in his clinic checking the ailing eyesight of a rabbi. With a strained expression on his face, he says, "I'm in such trouble, Ben. I need to talk to someone. We've known each other many years. You're a religious man. I'm not. We differ on many points, but you're somebody I do respect. May I confide in you?"

"Of course. Go ahead. Everything is confidential."

Judah stands up and begins to file away some papers. "I've done a foolish thing. Senseless and dumb. Another woman. Maybe I was flattered. Vulnerable. Maybe because she was helpless and alone. I don't know, but now my life is about to go up in smoke."

"Can't you break it off?"

"The woman won't allow it. She's young. She's very unstable. She's vindictive. And it's my fault. I instigated it. I prolonged it. Many times I tried to break it off, but I was too weak. But I promised her nothing. Or did I? I don't even know anymore. In the heat of passion you say things. All I know is that after two years of shameful deceit where I led this double life I awakened as if from a dream and realized what I'd be losing."

"It's called wisdom. It comes to some suddenly. We realize the difference between what's real and deep and lasting versus the superficial payoff of the moment."



James 1:5 tells us, “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.” True wisdom and power are found in God; counsel and understanding are His.

No comments:

Post a Comment