Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The value of Honesty

Proverbs 14:5 (NIV)
5 An honest witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies.

In the administration of justice much depends upon the witnesses, and therefore it is necessary to the common good that witnesses be principled as they ought to be; for, 1. A witness that is conscientious will not dare to give in a testimony that is in the least untrue, nor, for good-will or ill-will, represent a thing otherwise than according to the best of his knowledge, whoever is pleased or displeased, and then judgment runs down like a river. 2. But a witness that will be bribed, and biassed, and browbeaten, will utter lies (and not stick nor startle at it), with as much readiness and assurance as if what he said were all true. [Matthew Commentary]



Flywheel is a film about Jay, a Christian used-car salesman who becomes convicted that he has been grossly overcharging his customers. In this scene, conviction begins to settle in Jay's heart when he manipulates the sale of a car to his pastor.

As the scene opens, Jay is standing in the used car lot when he notices that his pastor is looking at a car. Jay walks over and says, "Well, the good Reverend came after all!"

"Jay, how's the car business today?" the pastor replies.

"We're making ends meet. It's good to see you. Tell me what I can do for you?"

"Well, I'm looking for a car for my daughter. She's our last one. I wish she were here, but she's out shopping for clothes with her mother. I'm just trying to find a good buy for her."

"Well, let me commit to giving you a good deal," Jay says, licking his chops.

The scene shifts to two salesmen that are sitting in the office that oversees the parking lot. Watching the interaction between Jay and the pastor, one salesman says to the other, "Hey, who is that guy with Jay? I think I've seen him before."

The other salesman looks out the window and says, "He's a minister, isn't he? Jay will probably give him a deal."

"Twenty bucks says he doesn't!" the other salesman fires back, knowing full well that Jay is a swindler.

"Do you really think he's going to stiff a minister?"

"Twenty bucks says he will!"

"You're on," the other salesman replies, and both watch from the window. As they watch Jay and his pastor examining a Camry, they check the files to see its listed price. The Camry is worth $6,500.

"Jay will sell it for $8,000," one salesman says. The other replies, "$7,000."

The scene shifts back to Jay and his pastor. After answering his pastor's questions about the Camry, Jay says, "I've got $8,500 in this car. If you want, I'll give it to you for $9,000."

Thinking it over, the Reverend decides to take it for a test drive. When Jay comes into the office, one of salesmen asks, "Is he buying it?"

"He might," Jay replies.

"You think he will?"

"I do."

"How do you know?"

"I sell cars for a living."

"Ha! At what price?"

The next scene shows Jay's pastor signing on the dotted line. As Jay walks the minister to the Camry, the two salesmen check the bill on the desk. They're surprised to see that Jay sold the car for $9,000, and they argue over who won the bet.

When the scene shifts back to Jay and his pastor, the pastor says, "Jay, thanks. You've treated me so well today. I would like to do something for you. I'd like to pray and ask God to bless you and your business."

"I'd appreciate that," Jay stutters.

"Let's pray." The minister puts his hand on Jay's shoulder, and says, "Lord, today I come before you and thank you for this day. I thank you for Jay and his business. I thank you for the car for Lindsay, and I ask that you protect her and give her grace as she drives this car. And Lord, I ask that you treat Jay just like he treated me today in this deal. In your name I pray, Lord, Amen."

"Amen," Jay says softly. As the minister drives away, Jay is left standing in the parking lot with a guilty look on his face.


[Flywheel (Sherwood Pictures, 2003), directed and written by Alex Kendrick; submitted by Jerry De Luca, Montreal West, Quebec, Canada]

No comments:

Post a Comment