Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Let go of your failures

Galatians 2:17-21 (NLT)
17 But suppose we seek to be made right with God through faith in Christ and then we are found guilty because we have abandoned the law. Would that mean Christ has led us into sin? Absolutely not! 18 Rather, I am a sinner if I rebuild the old system of law I already tore down. 19 For when I tried to keep the law, it condemned me. So I died to the law—I stopped trying to meet all its requirements—so that I might live for God. 20 My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die.

Matthew Henry writes of these verses, “With the practice of the Jewish Christians themselves: "Wewho are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles , knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we ourselves have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law. And, if we have thought it necessary to seek justification by the faith of Christ, why then should we hamper ourselves with the law? What did we believe in Christ for? Was it not that we might be justified by the faith of Christ? And, if so, is it not folly to go back to the law, and to expect to be justified either by the merit of moral works or the influence of any ceremonial sacrifices or purifications? And if it would be wrong in us who are Jews by nature to return to the law, and expect justification by it, would it not be much more so to require this of the Gentiles, who were never subject to it, since by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified?’’

The Jews considered their selves righteous people and considered the Gentiles sinners who did not know God’s law. Yet the death of Christ abolished the law and set man free from sin. Paul reminds us it is not good works we should return to, but instead it is Christ who we should turn to. Christ will guide us to do what is right in our lives as long as we maintain our relationship with Him. Sin has been put to death and the law or good works and deeds no long applies. Let your faith in Christ be strong by giving your life over to Him and letting your weaknesses fade as Christ rules in your life. Stop hanging on tightly to your good works as a way of pleasing God and instead please God by admitting your sin and giving Christ your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment