Thursday, May 5, 2011

Our Purpose

Jeremiah 29:10-14 (NLT)
10 This is what the Lord says: “You will be in Babylon for seventy years. But then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again. 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 14 I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.”

In these verses Jeremiah assures Israel that God would mercifully restore them to their own land again, at the end of 70 years. We often don’t understand our own thoughts or the plans we want to accomplish, but God assures us He knows the purpose of His plans. God tells the people His plans are to bring about a lasting future that is backed by hope. There is a condition to His words the people are to seek Him out and when they do He will make his presence known to them. Then He will end their captivity and restore them to their own land.

In a 2008 adaptation of Pinocchio, Bob Hoskins as Geppetto looks at Pinocchio the puppet he created and says, “"You're alive! Do you understand? You're alive!" Geppetto turns to look at a portrait of his late wife that hangs on the wall. "If only you were here! You could see him, too! He is alive!"
Pinocchio happily repeats Geppetto's verdict: "I'm alive!" Then a pensive look comes over the face of the puppet-turned-boy. "What do you mean 'I'm alive'?" "What does it mean? Well, unless I'm going mad, and this isn't just a dream, it means you have a life to live," says Geppetto."And what do you have a life for?" Pinocchio asks in return.” Geppetto falls silent, unable to find an answer.” Fortunately God who created us knows the purpose for our lives. God has set that purpose in motion and knows the exact plans we are to follow for our life. Our only response is to seek out God so that He can share that purpose with us. Pray God shows you the purpose for your life and let Him lead you to your own land where your purpose can be fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment