Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I struggle to understand, do you?

Hebrews 13:8-9 (NLT)
8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. 9 So do not be attracted by strange, new ideas. Your strength comes from God’s grace, not from rules about food, which don’t help those who follow them.

The apostle tells us we can count on the fact Jesus Christ always remains the same. It doesn’t matter if it was yesterday, today or anytime in the future, Jesus remains the same. Jesus delivered us from sin by His death on the cross. It was an act of love, mercy and grace. Because of the grace extended to us we are not held by rules, but instead by the love of Christ.

This morning I am struggling, trying to understand how far the grace of Jesus extends. It is a struggle because most of my life has been set with rules. Even in my day to day life I find many rules I must follow. There are laws on how to drive. There are laws that govern my living. There are rules about the way work must be performed. Yet, my life is also covered by grace. So am I obeying rules out of fear or am I obeying rules out of love for my Lord and Savior; that is my struggle! In my life I want to know God and I want to understand His desires. God said King David was a man after His own heart. Obviously David understood and knew what God wanted, yet David was not a perfect man. While it is sad about the many flaws of David I am thankful for them. For if David had been perfect I know it would never be possible to be a man after God’s own heart. Yet I have hope through grace. I have hope because God gave me hope. I know there are others who struggle with understanding God’s purpose for them, so let us stand together in prayer that we may know God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit that leads our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment