Friday, June 17, 2011

A special word about Fathers Day

Psalm 68:5 (NLT)

Father to the fatherless, defender of widows—this is God, whose dwelling is holy.

King David wrote the words in reflection that God watches over and protects those who have no one to protect them. He is a father to the fatherless teaching them His ways. For the widow is He is a defender ensuring the widow is cared for and protected. This is God’s nature that is holy and lives in a place of holiness.

In the US Father’s Day is held on the third Sunday of June. Father’s day is a celebration honoring fathers and celebrating fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the influence of fathers in society. Sadly in life there are those without fathers. Some fathers live to a rich age, while others have died early in their life. However, some fathers abandon their families and leave them behind for their own selfish reasons as in my case. My father was an abusive alcoholic who could not or did not want to control his behavior. So when I was one year old my mother left and divorced my father and I never saw him again. It wasn’t until his family called to say he had died and there would be a funeral that I finally met him lying in a coffin. Because I am a junior, over the years I received calls from social workers saying they had found my father homeless on the street or he was in the hospital recovering from problems related to alcohol. It is sad that a father would put the importance of alcohol above his own children, but it was an illness he did not want to overcome. I say children because it turns out I have a younger half-brother I have never met, nor do I know where he lives. He was abandoned as well and from what I was told; he found my father and quickly sent him back because of the alcohol related issues. There were so many times it would have been nice to have had a father who cared and was available. He missed ballgames. He missed birthdays and celebrations. I needed someone when I was trying to learn how to be a man, but he wasn’t there.

Let me speak to fathers for a moment. Fathers you need to do everything possible for the sake of your children. You need to support, love and care for your family. Fathers you need to take time for your children and show them you love them. Be patient, kind and encouraging. Fathers, be present for your children and live as God would have you live.

For men and women without fathers let me say God has been with you always. God has been your protector. God has been there with you at those ballgames, dance rehearsals, while watching you celebrate life. You may not have had an earthly father, but you had a heavenly Father who cared deeply for you and found you precious. God is your Father and cares for you deeply and those blessings will continue to your family.

Children if you have fathers, who loved you and lived godly lives, show your honor and respect. You do not know what a blessing your father is until he is not present with you.

Happy Father’s Day to all fathers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment