Friday, June 3, 2011

The Wedding Vow

Numbers 30:1-2 (NLT)
1 Then Moses summoned the leaders of the tribes of Israel and told them, “This is what the Lord has commanded: 2 A man who makes a vow to the Lord or makes a pledge under oath must never break it. He must do exactly what he said he would do.

Moses passed these words on to the people of Israel. Anyone who makes a vow to the Lord or any type of pledge or oath should follow through on their intentions and do exactly as they said. King Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 5:5, “It is better to say nothing than to make a promise and not keep it.” God wants us to be intentional in our actions and not make hasty decisions which we later regret.

The following is a sample wedding vow. While most recite the words after they have been spoken to them; many do not realize the importance of the vow they are making. Read carefully the words below.
I take you to be my wife, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our friendship and love you today, tomorrow, and forever. I will trust you and honor you I will laugh with you and cry with you. I will love you faithfully through the best and the worst, through the difficult and the easy. What may come I will always be there. As I have given you my hand to hold so I give you my life to keep so help me God.

I take you to be my husband, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our friendship and love you today, tomorrow, and forever I will trust you and honor you I will laugh with you and cry with you. I will love you faithfully through the best and the worst, through the difficult and the easy. What may come I will always be there. As I have given you my hand to hold so I give you my life to keep so help me God.

In unison: Entreat me not to leave you, or to return from following after you, For where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. And where you die, I will die and there I will be buried. May the Lord do with me and more if anything but death parts you from me.
If you have made a vow in the presence of God it is an intention to keep that vow and uphold the words you have spoken. Because some hastily enter into marriage they later regret their vow and turn from it. Some find their spouse no longer holds on to their vow, but that means the other spouse is to hold on and keep appropriate boundaries within marriage that pleases both God and man. If you are married or plan to marry, place God first. Make a commitment to keep your vow to God and your spouse. Resolve differences in a peaceful manner, while learning to communicate feelings to each other. Respect one another knowing their vow is just as important as yours. May God bless the sanctity of marriage and keep it holy for all who enter in its sacred bounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment