Friday, August 31, 2012

Holy Spirit speaks for us

Romans 8:26-27 (NLT)
26 And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. 27 And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will.

In these verses the apostle tells us how the Holy Spirit speaks out for us on our behalf. There are times when life is so frustrating or when we are so confused about life -- we don’t even know where to start with our prayers to God. So in our silence the Holy Spirit prays for us in ways that cannot even be expressed. The Holy Spirit pleads on our behalf for those good things that are in accordance with the will of God.
 

 

In Max Lucado’s, Cure for the Common Life (Thomas Nelson, 2008), pp. 69-70, he writes --The bank sent me an overdraft notice on the checking account of one of my daughters. I encourage my college-age girls to monitor their accounts. Even so, they sometimes overspend. What should I do? Send her an angry letter? Admonition might help her later, but it won't satisfy the bank. Phone and tell her to make a deposit? Might as well tell a fish to fly. I know her liquidity. Zero. Transfer the money from my account to hers? Seemed to be the best option. After all, I had $25.37. I could replenish her account and pay the overdraft fee as well. Since she calls me Dad, I did what dads do. I covered my daughter's mistake. When I told her she was overdrawn, she said she was sorry. Still, she offered no deposit. She was broke. She had one option, "Dad, could you…" "Honey," I interrupted, "I already have." I met her need before she knew she had one. Long before you knew you needed grace, your Father did the same. He made an ample deposit. Before you knew you needed a Savior, you had one. And when you ask him for mercy, he answers, "Dear child. I've already given it."

God is listening and watching out for his children. God responds to our needs often before we even become aware of what we need. Romans 5:8, "God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners". Many of us didn’t realize the sins of our life, but God did and God covered the debt for us through His Son Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment