Friday, October 19, 2012

Our delight in God becomes our delight

Psalm 37:4 (NIV)
4 “Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

We must not only depend upon God, but solace ourselves in him. We must be well pleased that there is a God, that He is such a one as He has revealed Himself to us, and that He is our God in covenant. We must delight ourselves in His beauty, bounty, and benignity; our souls must return to Him, and repose in Him, as their rest, and their portion forever. Being satisfied of His loving-kindness, we must be satisfied with it, and make that our exceeding joy.
 

 

Chuck Swindoll shares the following story about a conversation with a Christian leader who started a new ministry for the Navigators in Uganda. The man told Swindoll that after much discussion and prayer, he and his wife were convinced God wanted them to move to Uganda. So they uprooted their family and flew to Kenya, where he put his family up in a hotel so he could rent a Land Rover and travel across the border into Uganda. The man told Swindoll, "One of the first things that caught my eye when I came into the village where I was going to spend my first night were several young kids with automatic weapons, shooting them off into the sky. As I drove by, they stared at me and pointed their guns." Naturally he started to wonder if God was really in their decision. Finally, after a long day exploring Uganda, he pulled up to a dingy, dimly lit hotel. Inside, he went up to the registration counter. The clerk, who spoke only a little English, told him there was one bed available. So he walked up two flights of stairs and opened the door and turned on the light -"a naked light bulb hanging over a table. He saw a room with two beds, one unmade and one still made up. He immediately realized, I am sharing this room with somebody else. A chill went down his spine. At this point he definitely needed the kind of encouragement only God can give. The man told Swindoll, "I dropped to my knees, and I said, 'Lord, look, I'm afraid. I'm in a country I don't know, in a culture that's totally unfamiliar. I have no idea who sleeps in that bed. Please, show me that you're in this move!'" And then, he said, "Just as I was finishing my prayer, the door flung open, and there stood this six-foot five-inch African frowning at me, saying in beautiful British English, 'What are you doing in my room?'" "I kneeled there for a moment, and then I muttered, 'They gave me this bed, but I'll only be here one night.'" "What are you doing in my country?" the African asked. "Well, I'm with a [Christian] organization called the Navigators." "Ahh! The Navigators!" Suddenly the tall African broke into an enormous grin, threw his arms around his new roommate, and laughed out loud as he lifted him up off the floor and danced around the room with him.

"Praise God, praise God," said the African. "For two years I have prayed that God would send someone to me from this organization." And he pulled out a little Scripture memory-verse pack and pointed to where, at the bottom of each of the verses, it read, "The Navigators, Colorado Springs, Colorado."

"Are you from Colorado Springs, Colorado?" he asked. "I was. But I'm coming to Uganda to begin a work for the Navigators in this country." This Ugandan eventually became a board member for the new Navigators ministry in Uganda. He helped the American leader find a place to live, assisted him with the language, and became the Navigator staff member's best friend. [Chuck Swindoll, Embraced by the Spirit (Zondervan, 2011), pp. 111-114]

The Bible tells us when God is for us who can be against us? When we delight in God and we delight in the work He has put before us, God will see to it that our hearts are also delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment