Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wait on God

Psalm 27:14 (NIV)
“Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.”

David urges us to bear up and be prepared for adversity, despair and other afflictions that might come our way.  Matthew Henry writes of this verse, “Keep close to God and to your duty. Wait on the Lord by faith, and prayer, and a humble resignation to his will; wait, I say, on the Lord; whatever you do, grow not remiss in your attendance upon God.  Keep up your spirits in the midst of the greatest dangers and difficulties: Be of good courage; let your hearts be fixed, trusting in God, and your minds stayed upon him, and then let none of these things move you. Those that wait upon the Lord have reason to be of good courage.
 

 

Archbishop of Calcutta Henry D'Souza knows that at times in her life, Mother Teresa felt abandoned by God. She wrote in her diary, "I wandered the streets the whole day. My feet are aching, and I have not been able to find a home. And I also get the Tempter telling me, 'Leave all this, go back to the convent from which you came.'" She found her home, and the rest is history. The Missionaries of Charity feeds 500,000 families a year in Calcutta alone, treats 90,000 leprosy patients annually, and educates 20,000 children every year. [Citation: Kevin A. Miller, Vice President, Christianity Today International; source: CNN]

King David also knew the frustration of waiting on God, which we can see from this in Psalm 13:1-6. 
“How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, O Lord my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;  But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord,for he has been good to me.”

There are none of us exempt from feeling alone and abandoned. We all face times of frustration mostly because we want to react instead of allowing God to direct our paths.  We want something now, which is in our sinful nature. But God knows what He is doing and plans things to work according to His time.

Pray God would give you the strength and endurance to face what may come into your life. Sometimes we face painful things, but God is always faithful to strengthen us when we ask. Pray that you might be patient as to not rush God’s timing. My hope just as King David’s is that you can wait for the lord; be strong and take heart and again wait on the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment