Friday, March 15, 2013

Faith of my mother

2 Corinthians 5:8-7 (NLT)
6 So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. 7 For we live by believing and not by seeing. 8 Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.

These are comforting words from The Apostle that while we live here on earth -- we are not at home with The Lord. We long to be with The Lord, but have a purpose here on earth to fulfill. But through faith, through believing we can be fully confident there will be a day when we abandon our earthly body and rest in peace, joy and comfort with The Lord.


 

Yesterday our family found out my mother has terminal cancer. It is somewhat of a shock when you hear those words. The doctor then goes on to say they can’t provide any timeline, but death could occur anywhere from two weeks to six months. They go on to say they are calling hospice to ensure her comfort for the final days. You know then this is real and just a matter of time.

My mother is a Christian and as hard as those words were to hear she said, “I really don’t want to leave my family, but I will do what is best.” The doctor reassured her in this case she could be selfish and do what is best for her. My mother’s attitude was a lot better than I would expect most people to be. I’m sure she still has to process it a bit, but she knows to be absent from her body her on earth is to be present with the Lord. She was even a little excited to think about seeing her mother, father, and grandparents who passed away years ago.

You see Christians have the hope of being reunited with other Christian friends and family. They know this earth is a temporary place where they are to live out their purpose for God. They know their faith in Jesus Christ who died for their sins assures them a place in heaven. My mother is living proof of that faith knowing there is a better world waiting for her. She doesn’t really want to leave behind those who are here, but she knows one day all of us will be with her.

There is true comfort to be found in the Lord. I pray for all people that they can find the comfort, faith and trust my mother has in the Lord. If you would like to pray my mother her name is Phyllis. I am sure she would love and covet your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment