Monday, March 25, 2013

My mother has gone home to The Lord



Philippians 4:4-7 (NIV)
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

The Apostle tells us that it is our duty to always rejoice in the Lord. For the Lord provides all we need and His Holy Spirit comforts us and reassures us that we may rejoice even in times of difficulties. God is always near and present ready to take on our anxiety. Jesus said to us, “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Through prayer we fellowship with God and can share our pains and sorrows. God hears our requests and guards our hearts and minds, providing us with peace that goes beyond understanding.



Less than two weeks ago we learned my mother had terminal stage four stomach cancer. Upon hearing the news my mom asked, “Am I going to die?” and the doctor replied we all die sometime we just don’t know when. I asked my mother if she was scared and she said yes, but she said she would be ok. We prayed with her and she seemed to find comfort and contentment in our prayers. I have been asking for people to pray for my mom that even though she had cancer she might be allowed to pass away peacefully and with as little pain as possible.

Sunday morning those prayers were answered and my mom went home to be with The Lord. She passed away in her sleep never really complaining about any pain. Since the news of her cancer she mostly had been sleeping and it was in her sleep she passed away peacefully.

While there is grief in my heart and in the hearts of my family for the loss of my mom there is also great peace and comfort. The Lord heard our prayers, gave my mom peace and comfort and also gave peace and comfort to our family. As my wife said, cancer may take away the body, but it can never take away the soul that The Lord firmly holds. For that I can rejoice and give praise to The Lord.



I have a busy week ahead and will not be able send out devotions for the remainder of the week. I do want to thank all those who prayed for my mother. I also want to thank The Lord for His grace and mercy and hearing the prayers of those who called out to Him. There is no greater peace that passes understanding than to be held in comfort of The Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment