Monday, March 4, 2013

Hidden faults

Psalm 19:12 (NLT)
12 How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults.

As David understood, one might know God’s law but to apply it to self and understand your faults is very difficult indeed. We are often right in own eyes, but not in the eyes of God. We all need divine grace to show us these faults, provide us mercy and grace to overcome these faults, and free us from the power of sin that holds us to these faults.
 

 

I once heard a man say, “I think I communicate really well with my wife. We sit down and have conversations and talk about the events of the day.” Then someone asked, “How does she feel about the things you talk about.” The man who thought he communicated well said, “You know, I’m usually so caught up in the facts of the day I didn’t think about what she felt.” He went on to say, “I guess I’m not such a great communicator after all.”

King David understood that while we may think we know ourselves, we really don’t. We can only see ourselves from our point of view and often miss what God and others see. And if you can’t see your fault it sure makes it difficult to correct. We all have had that experience where someone notices something externally about us, such as having a spot on our clothes we can’t see. Just as we have spots externally, we have spots on the inside we can’t see that need correcting.

Make your prayer as David’s that God would cleanse you from the hidden faults in your life. Allow yourself grace and mercy as God brings good friends to you who share their hearts in love to show you faults in your life. Know that God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from our hidden faults.

No comments:

Post a Comment