Tuesday, July 29, 2014

The words that preserve our life

Psalm 119:93 (NIV)
93 I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.

The best evidence of our love for God is never to forget the wisdom He has imparted to us through His word. For God’s wisdom is life changing and preserves our life.



I grew up in a Christian home where I went to church on Sunday. One of the things I learned to do as a child was to memorize scripture. Our Sunday school class had a chart up on the wall with our names and the scriptures we were to memorize. One set of those verses was Psalm 23. It seemed longed at the time as kid, but I endured and learned the passages.

Psalm 23
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.


There are times those words will come to me reminding me how The Lord is with me, watching over me and allowing me to rest as He leads me. It was good for me to learn those verses and keep them with me.

The same has held true for many other people. I have heard soldiers speak of how the scriptures they had memorized kept them alive while they were held in horrible prisoner of war camps. I have heard the testimonies of people trapped by buildings collapsed by earthquakes repeating God’s promises to them until they were rescued. People have spoken of God comforting them through His word as they faced difficult trials.


You see when we draw close to The Lord by reading His word and meditating on it; The Lord draws close to us. He is there with us in fellowship watching over the souls of our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment