Friday, July 18, 2014

Transformed by the love of Christ

Romans 12:2  (NKJV)
2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

The word transformed comes from the Greek word “metamorphoō” from which we get metamorphose, which means a change completely in form or nature. So here the apostle is saying we should not keep our mind locked onto the thoughts of the world, but allow changes to take place that have been proved to be good, acceptable and perfect by the will of God.



The world attempts to influence us in many ways. Take advertising for example, images and messages conveyed in advertising try to change our minds about the products we buy; unless we stop to take time and analyze the things we are looking at we often buy into false beliefs.

I’m never one to belittle someone’s belief in a religion. Everyone has a right to believe as they choose. Hopefully many of you have looked at your beliefs over the years and tried to reconcile what you believe with the truths and the history available to you. In other words hopefully you have allowed God’s will to work in your life so that a transformation took place that grew, developed and matured you into understanding your own faith. The apostle Paul even reminds us that some of us should be teachers, but we are still being weaned off the first lessons we ever learned and have not matured.

I grew up a Southern Baptist and as a kid I was allowed to attend other churches with my friends. I attended Methodist, Lutheran, Catholic, Church of Christ and a few others. I also have friends that are Muslims, Mormons and Jews. Through attendance of theses churches and listening to their beliefs, God has guided me in the things I believe. I have transformed over the years and some things I use to believe I no longer believe, but believe something different, something better, something that aligns with God’s will. And I’ll add that I am still transforming. 

From The Bible, which includes the Old and New Testament, I have reached the belief that there is an eternal life after death. I also believe that eternal life is a gift from God and is not something I have earned, but something I have to accept by faith.  By faith I believe Jesus Christ paid the debt for all sin by dying on a cross and then rising back to eternal life three days later. I believe that I am a sinner who needs the gift Jesus provides of redeeming salvation so that I am made right with God. I believe I am a sinner, but that I want to change and be more like Jesus because of His love for me. I’m not always perfect. I fail many times, but Jesus loves me through those times and never takes away the gift of eternal salvation He has given me. God’s love has transformed me and many others.

The saddest part about being a Christian is to believe that those who understand they are a sinner and who don’t accept Jesus Christ on faith are doomed eternally to hell. When I think that friends of mine will be lost forever I am truly sad. Their belief is their decision, but I pray they might know the love, grace and mercy of Jesus Christ. I don’t give up on them; instead I love them as Christ would love them.


If you haven’t accepted Christ and you feel the need to do so, just pray this simple prayer: Father God, I know I am a sinner. I know that I want to turn from sin and follow you. I therefore place my faith in Jesus Christ, Your Son, that I may receive eternal salvation. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment