Wednesday, July 30, 2014

This little light of mine

Matthew 5:14,16 KJV
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Jesus was speaking to a multitude of people from the mountain when He spoke the words above. The words were a reminder that like a city on a hill that cannot be hidden, neither can the good works be hidden that we do for the Father in heaven. The sick will remember our care. The hungry will remember the meals provided. The homeless will remember the shelter provided them. All will see the good works accomplished and their thankfulness will be overflowing.



Our church has a program where people go out to feed the homeless and minister to some immediate needs. The homeless are invited to participate in a time of praise and worship. They are also supplied with a simple meal. Some of the local food stores provide things like bread, pastries and other items the people can take with them. People put together basic hygiene kits that have toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, hand lotions, razors and shaving cream and hand them out to the people.

During the winter months when the cold weather is setting in, the church will gather coats, blankets, and other warm clothes to provide the people. People line up hoping the supplies don’t run out before they get to the front of the line, but usually there is plenty for all. It’s on these nights that hot coffee and hot chocolate are served to help warm up the guests.

A young boy wrote the following after helping in this ministry. My name is Ben and I am 10 years old.  I have been going to Church on the Street for a while with my father.  It all started months ago when I heard about Church on the Street.  I had no idea what to expect, my dad said it was serving, preaching and preparing food for the homeless people in Atlanta.  I really wanted to go.

My first time going I was nervous because it was a large crowd.   Church on the Street not only helped the homeless, but me as a child.  I have grown closer with the Lord ever since I started serving at Church on the Street.  Volunteers do many different jobs.  I, for one, like to help with the snacks in the beginning.  I like to say hi to all the homeless people.  My real favorite job to do is to wrap the hot dogs in tin foil.  Sometimes when I am not washing the dishes, I will go out with an adult and pray with a homeless person who needs prayer.  I would like to do Church on the Street as long as I can and try new jobs when I get older.



There is a light within us that cannot be hidden. It is the light of love that The Lord has given to us all. We can let our light shine and have a great influence on many people. It is a light that cannot be hidden for it spreads to other people who share it as they too minister to people. One night I remember a homeless person giving up some of the things they had to help another person. The person was in need and the other person shared the little bit that they had to help.  So let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment